Friday, April 15, 2011

Milwaukee, Lake Front-Water Tower

Alright now to some Milwaukee hills, the East side is golden!! Straight $$ in my opinion, nothing long in length. But these hills never seem to fail to get my heart and adrenaline racing. Water Tower Rd. is right by the old water tower, and for those of you who don't know where that is, take North ave. as far east as you can and you'll run into it. Water Tower Rd. Map The issue that comes into play with this hill is traffic. It definitely helps to have a lookout that can give you the all clear to make sure there are no cars coming up when your about to go down, but its not necessary. The best time to ride this hill is either later at night past bar close or early in the morning. Now I have ridden this hill in the middle of the day it just makes it a lot harder because of the amount of traffic. I love to drop in that first straightaway building max speed, then taking that first turn hard on the inside. I ride goofy so thats heel side for me on the first turn, which can really catapult me into the next dropped straightaway. For those who aren't as comfortable taking steep hills at fast speeds this is a good time to stand up, carve out some speed, "deploy the flaps" as i call it, because as you near the bottom it is this last turn that you really pick up some speed. On the last turn I prefer to be able to ride in the left lane (traffic pending) because there aren't as many cracks in the road. Leading to the bottom where there is a stop and go light...this is where it becomes tricky. Seeing as how the lights at the bottom of the hill are random and change when cars approach it all becomes luck and good timing. During the day watch for cars, look for the grass lol, just try not to get hit. During hours where its not so busy, you have plenty of time coming out of that last turn to make the decision of whether your going to ride it out or bail in the grass. Putting your foot down to slow you down may not be the best idea, pending on how fast your going. Also make sure you know which way you are going to turn when you hit that intersection. Wear a helmet, pads and you should be good to go! By far my favorite hill to ride in Milwaukee!


2 comments:

  1. What an informative blog. Very inspirational article. I think beginner riders must like the Blog to know some more about Gold Coast Longboards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milwaukee was amazing to skate in! I ride pennyboards. I liked the hill right after you go up the holton bridge you take a left on the first street. A couple blocks take a left and youre zooming down a great hill. It mellows out a bit and goes into a street along a hill where you can see the whole city. Then intensifies as you take a left down a hill and another left, dodging traffic as you ride down pleasant toward water! I miss that I'll be back this summer to skate. Also the hills off wisconsin avenue by the rave are too gnarly even for me!

    ReplyDelete